Pet rabbits are, by nature, clean living creatures who like to keep themselves nice. Besides providing a well aired and orderly living space for your bunny, a rabbit litter box is essential.
In this article, we help you choose the best litter box for rabbits, as well as give guidance on things you need to consider before purchasing a rabbit litter box and what type of litter to use.
If gently trained, rabbits will make good use of a well-positioned and maintained litter box. However, although rabbits do like their privacy, it is unnecessary to provide a covered rabbit litter box, like you would for a cat.
If you are keen to find out more about training your rabbit to use a litter box, click here.
What Do I Need to Consider?
Deciding on the best bunny litter box requires a few preliminary considerations. For instance:-
- How many rabbits will use the litter box facilities?
- Are you able to regularly scoop out the box? Despite rabbits being clever, they will be relying on you to keep their quarters clean.
- What type of litter will you use? Click here to see our recommendations.
- Are your rabbits free to roam, and will they have easy access to the litter box?
- How much are you prepared to spend?
- Will a universal litter box suffice?
- Or is a durable deluxe design more in keeping with your rabbits?
What Features Should My Bunny’s Litter Box Have?
When you are ready to purchase a litter box for rabbits, you might be surprised to find numerous available options. The following additional questions should help you narrow down the list:-
- Does it have a carry handle?
- Does the tray slide out from the box?
- Is it easy to access if attached to a cage or hutch?
- Is it lightweight?
- Is it deep enough to ensure the litter stays contained?
- Is it the right shape to fit in its location, i.e. is it square, rectangular or triangular?
- Is it easy to take apart and clean?
- Is colour important to you? (Did you know that rabbits have limited colour perception? So their opinion is not required!)
What Is A Practical Litter Box Housekeeping Tip?
Caring for your rabbit comes with great responsibility! A daily cleaning schedule of your rabbit’s litter box is essential. Rabbits are susceptible to bacterial and viral infections, and this daily routine of removing used litter offers some protection for your rabbit.
It also minimizes respiratory irritations and lessens the likelihood of mites and flies becoming problematic. A regular cleaning regime will also keep mold in check, not to mention assisting in odor reduction.
A practical tip to consider is to have two rabbit litter boxes in play and alternate them weekly. While one litter box for rabbits is in use, clean the other before soaking its base in white vinegar for a couple of hours.
After rinsing the litter box, it is good practice to leave it to dry in the sun for a few hours to kill off any residual bacteria.
What Litter Boxes Are Suitable For Rabbits?
You can’t go past investing in a well-designed litter box created with your rabbit’s well-being foremost.
Nevertheless, the best litter box for rabbits should include practical features, for instance, a removable tray, to make the daily cleaning routine manageable and not an unpleasant or difficult task.
So, here are our top five litter boxes that your rabbit will be happy to hop into:
Best Litter Box for Rabbits Overall: Scatterless Lock-N-Litter Pan
- Attaches to any cage or hutch to prevent litter from scattering
- Durable, stain and odour resistant plastic
- Plastic guard and wire floor assist rabbits in keeping paws clean
- Easy to remove and clean
- Available in blue, purple, green & white
- Dimensions: Width x 12-3/4″; Depth x 9 1/4″; Height x 6″
Best Litter Box For Large Rabbits : Kathson Large Rabbit Litter Box
- Durable, stain and odour resistant plastic
- Reinforced base to support small animals up to 8 kg
- Suitable for adult rabbits, rats, chinchillas, guinea pigs, and ferrets
- Detachable tray for cleaning convenience
- Dimensions: Width x 11.8″; Depth x 16″; Height x 6.3″
Best Innovative Design: CalPalmy X-Large Rabbit Litter Box
- Designed for larger rabbits
- Robust, durable and also suitable for chinchillas, ferrets and guinea pigs
- Plastic grate to channel your bunny’s waste to the base of the litter box
- Easy to clean
- Base lined with a 100% premium-quality, non-toxic, BPA free plastic pad
- Premium quality and value pack and includes ten free pads
- Two available sizes: large and extra-large
- Two available colours: blue and cream
- Dimensions: Extra Large – Width x 17.3’’; Depth x 13.4’’; Height x 7.1’’
- Dimensions: Large – Width x 16”; Depth 11.8”; Height x 6.3”
Best Litter Box for Small Rabbits: Humorous. P Small Animal Litter Box
- Designed with high-quality, durable materials
- Can be secured to the cage or hutch
- Sturdy, ordourless and generous volume
- Available in green, the preferred colour of discerning bunnies
- Suitable for small rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas and ferrets
- **Please note that this litter box is not suited for larger rabbits**
- Dimensions: Width x 12”; Depth x 8.5”; Height x 6”.
- Easy to clean with a mesh grate
- Each order includes a gift of a bowtie, a triangular neck gaiter and a mini broom and pan set
Best Value Rabbit Litter Box: Kaytee Long John Litter Pan
- Features built-in hooks for easy cage or hutch attachment
- The high sides help to prevent litter scatterings
- Great for liberty training
- Easy to clean surface
- Available in assorted colors
- Dimension: Width x 11.25″; Depth x 9.5″; Height x 7”
Choosing Litter for Your Rabbit Litter Box
I hope that this list of best litter box for rabbits has helped you choose a suitable litter box for your bunny. You may also like to consider the following:
- Safe rabbit litter choices for your bunny.
- Top 5 Rabbit Litter Scoops to help you clean your rabbits litter box easily.