Paper-based litters are a safe alternative for rabbits, are easy to clean up and offer excellent odor control.
However, with so many options on the market, choosing the right one for your rabbit can take time and effort.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the benefits of using paper rabbit litter for your rabbit’s litter box and how to choose a suitable one for your pet.
Benefits of Paper Rabbit Litter
Paper-based litter is a great option for rabbits because it is safe, absorbent, and minimizes odor.
Paper pellets expand when wet and control odor well, making them a great option for rabbit litter boxes. They are also heavier than paper-based bedding, which helps prevent them from getting tracked around the house.
Shredded paper is also a safe option, provided it is plain paper or newspaper. It is highly absorbent, eco-friendly, and affordable. Glossy, magazine style paper is unsuitable for litter both for the health of your rabbit if they eat it, and for absorbancy.
Using paper litter for rabbits can also prevent health issues caused by inhaling dust from other types of litter. Paper litter offers a clean and healthy environment for rabbits while also being cost-effective and easy to maintain.
What Are the Best Paper Rabbit Litter Options?
Kaytee Clean & Cozy Small Pet Bedding
You’ll love how soft and cozy your rabbit will feel in Kaytee’s Clean & Cozy bedding, with its superior absorption and odor control. It’s not just about comfort, though – this bedding is versatile enough to be used for burrowing in, as well as litter.
Perfect for rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, chinchillas, and gerbils, Clean & Cozy bedding can absorb six times its weight in liquid, ensuring that your pet stays dry at all times. Plus, it is 99.9% dust-free which means fewer allergies for you and your bun.
The different sizes available make it easy to find the perfect fit for your pet’s cage or hutch. And best of all? It won’t break the bank! With its reasonable price point compared to other brands on the market, you’ll get a great value product that delivers high performance every time.
- Available in 4 sizes: 24.6L, 49.2L, 85L and 100L
- Safe for rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, chinchillas, and gerbils
- Absorbs 6 times its weight in liquid
- 99.9% dust-free
- Odor control guaranteed
- Made of material that meets FDA standards
- Soft and comfortable for rabbits, can use as bedding or litter
- Available in different package sizes
- Reasonably priced
- Absorbs odor and liquid well
- More absorbant than wood shavings
- Sticks to fleece
- Gets stuck in long haired rabbits fur
- Messier than other types of rabbit litter
Carefresh 99% Dust Free Paper Bedding
If you’re looking for a comfortable and low-dust litter option for your rabbit, Carefresh’s 99% dust-free paper bedding may be exactly what you need. This soft and gentle bedding is perfect for small animals like rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, mice and more.
The natural white paper fiber provides a fluffy texture that is ideal for burrowing, tunneling or creating a cozy nest. One of the standout features of this product is its exceptional odor control. Its proven formula suppresses ammonia odors for up to 10 days, making it an excellent choice if you want to keep your bun’s habitat smelling fresh and clean.
Additionally, the bedding is ultra-absorbent and can hold twice as much liquid as traditional shavings. This means that it keeps cages drier than other brands while also being biodegradable and compostable.
- Available in 10L, 14L, 23L, 30L, 50L and 60L
- Available in white, natural and colored options
- Soft and comfortable for small pets
- Proven odor-control formula suppresses ammonia odors for up to 10 days
- 2X more absorbent than wood shavings
- 99% dust-free
- Biodegradable and compostable
- Virtually dust-free
- Perfect texture for burrowing or nesting
- Exceptional odor control
- Some customers noted a weird smell
- Some customers wished it was softer
Small Pet Select Soft Brown Paper Bedding
The Small Pet Select bedding is a soft and affordable option for rabbit owners looking to keep their pet’s habitat clean and comfortable. Made of 100% unbleached virgin fiber, this paper bedding and litter is safe for disposal in the garden or compost bin.
It comes in a jumbo size pack that expands three times its packaged volume. This makes it an excellent value for the price as it lasts longer than other options.
One of the great things about the Small Pet Select bedding is how soft and comfortable it is for your bunny. It is an ideal option for rabbits or guinea pigs as it offers optimal odor control due to its super absorbency.
However, not all is perfect with this product as some may find that it clumps together, although this could make it easier to scoop out. It does help mask rabbit urine odor, but some customers have noted that there’s still a residual smell left behind.
- Material: 100% unbleached virgin fiber
- Size: Jumbo pack (178 L)
- Ideal for: rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils, hamsters, chinchillas, rats or mice
- Safe disposal: garden/compost/organic waste bin
- Super absorbent with optimal odor control
- Soft and comfortable for rabbits
- Good option for larger breeds like Flemish Giant rabbits
- Affordable cost
- Lasts longer than other options
- Safe if eaten
- May clump together instead of absorbing urine
- Can be a little dusty when breaking apart
Small Pet Select Paper Pellet Bedding
Are you looking for an environmentally friendly and easy-to-use paper based litter for rabbits? Try Small Pet Select’s pellet bedding! It offers extreme absorbency, longer-lasting freshness, and natural odor control.
Made from 100% recycled paper, this bedding is biodegradable, compostable, and non-allergenic, making it an excellent choice for those with allergies. It is also 99% dust-free, ensuring a clean environment for you and your bunny.
The pellet bedding is designed to be easy to use and clean. Its extreme absorbency makes it three times more effective while providing longer-lasting freshness.
Although some customers have found the pellets messy when shipped loose in a cardboard box, larger sizes come in a resealable bag that makes them easier to handle. Buying the larger 20 pound box is far more cost effective also – an extra $5 for double the amount.
- Comes in 10lb and 20lb box (larger box offers much better value)
- Natural Complete Odor Control
- 99% Dust Free
- Extreme Absorbency
- Made from 100% recycled paper
- Biodegradable and compostable
- Easy to use and clean.
- Longer lasting freshness.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Great choice for those with allergies.
- Messy when shipped loose in a cardboard box (but larger sizes come in a resealable bag).
- A bit pricey for the quantity.
So Phresh Paper Pellet Small Animal Litter
So Phresh’s eco-friendly and super absorbent paper pellet litter for rabbits offers a hassle-free cleanup experience.
Made from 100% recycled paper, this litter is for rabbits and all small animals alike. It contains baking soda to effectively control odor and lock in moisture, making it better at cutting down smell than other brands. Having said that, baking soda is toxic to rabbits in large quantities – don’t use this for young bunnies, or if your rabbit likes to eat their litter or bedding.
Not only is this paper-based litter environmentally friendly, but it also does not break apart when wet, allowing for easier cleaning.
- 10lb bag
- Made from 100% recycled paper
- Contains Baking Soda – monitor your rabbit if they ingest this product
- Good absorbtion
- Doesn’t fly around or scatter across house like some of the loose paper litters
- Excellent odor control
- Doesn’t break apart when wet
- Baking soda can be toxic to rabbits if ingested in large quantities (particularly young rabbits)
- Can get dusty in bottom of bag
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I completely change out my rabbit’s litter?
Aim to clean out the rabbit litter box at least once a week. This means removing all soiled litter and replacing it with fresh bedding. If you notice any strong odors, dampness or have multiple rabbits, it may be necessary to clean it more frequently.
Is paper litter safe for rabbits?
Paper-based litter is generally safe and dust-free, making it less likely to cause irritation or worsen respiratory issues.
Is paper-based litter safe for young or newborn rabbits?
Avoid using paper-based litter with young or newborn rabbits, as they may be more susceptible to respiratory issues and other health problems. Instead, consider using a soft bedding material like hay or straw, which can provide a comfortable and safe environment for your young bunnies.
Can I use shredded paper for rabbit litter?
Shredded newspaper can be used as a bedding material for rabbits. It is essential to ensure that the ink in the paper is not toxic to rabbits – be wary of anything other than newspaper. Shredded paper can be harder to clean and may cause digestive issues if ingested in large amounts, so using it as a bottom layer with hay or other rabbit safe litter on top is best.
Now that you’ve learned about the different types of paper-based rabbit litters available, it’s time to make a decision on which one is best for your pet.
Kaytee Clean & Cozy Small Pet Bedding is a great option if you’re looking for a highly absorbent litter that also controls odors.
If dust is an issue for you or your bunny, consider Carefresh 99% Dust Free Paper litter and bedding.
For those who prefer no bleaches or dyes, Small Pet Select Soft Brown Paper bedding and litter may be the way to go.
Whatever type of paper-based litter you choose, make sure it meets your rabbit’s needs in terms of safety and health while also providing comfort and convenience for both you and your furry friend.
With so many options available, there’s sure to be a litter that will work well for you and your beloved bunny!